Re: Please, minimize your build chroots

Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues writes:
> I think the much more interesting question is in what environment we want to
> build our packages in. Currently, on buildds, we build them in a chroot that
> has Priority:required and build-essential because of (what I think is) a bug in
> debootstrap: #837060

I would rather say: The build-essential packages are those installed by
debootstrap's buildd profile. At least that seems to be current practice
for a long time.

> So there are two ways forward:
>
>  1. accept that Priority:required is needed for building source packages
>
>      - adapt Debian policy accordingly

AFAIU it would not need changes? Policy doesn't seem to explicitly state
what packages are actually build-essential...

>      - revert the changes to packages made due to Santiago's bugs
>      - change all tools that do build dependency resolution to now also
>        consider Priority:required packages

Why would they need changes? Do they explicitly include essential
packages too?

>  2. make sure that packages are built without Priority:required packages

> To me it seems that we nearly are already at (2).

I think we are already at (1) given everything works already?

Ansgar