Re: depends-on-obsolete-package lsb-base

On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 12:53:17PM -0800, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 09:00, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@bebt.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 2023-01-18 Otto Kekäläinen <otto@kekalainen.net> wrote:
> > > Lintian just started erroring on 'depends-on-obsolete-package
> > > lsb-base' on many of my packages yesterday. There are no new uploads
> > [...]
> > > Does somebody know what is going on?
> >
> > > Example:
> > > E: mariadb-server: depends-on-obsolete-package Depends: lsb-base (>= 3.0-10)
> >
> > That is this change
> >   * Remove init.d-script-needs-depends-on-lsb-base and add lsb-base to
> >     obsolete-packages. (Closes: #1019851)
> >
> > from this commit:
> >
> > commit 97f742b00553a4dd7ba681aefa4cc164ea263f71
> >     Remove init.d-script-needs-depends-on-lsb-base and add lsb-base to obsolete-packages
> >
> >     The functionality of lsb-base is in the Essential:yes set since
> >     Bullseye. The package itself is now an empty transitional package
> >     (because debootstrap doesn't understand the Provides relationship) which
> >     depends on the new provider of the functionality, sysvinit-utils, which
> >     is also in the Essential:yes set.
> >
> >     Closes: #1019851
>

> Thanks for an exact reply!
>
> About the execution of this change repository-wide:
>
> Is anyone working on feeding
> https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/data/fields/obsolete-packages
> to https://janitor.debian.net/scrub-obsolete/ so that at least
> Salsa-maintained packages would swiftly get on path to get this
> dependency removed (and Salsa-CI failures stopped on this Lintian
> error)?

That's an interesting idea. The current format
https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/data/fields/obsolete-packages
isn't super machine-readable. Perhaps it could be split into one file
with human-readable hints, and one with straightforward replacements
(e.g. "libtinfo-dev => libncurses-dev" )?

> As a side note, it would be cool if the Janitor could also mass add
> brackets to Lintian overrides (like done manually in
> https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/commit/6e8c0487a186e1640fe69e2409544b28e6f26164
> on Lintian itself) now after that not backwards compatible change was
> introduced last summer so that we get it executed repository-wide.

The janitor (or more specifically, lintian-brush) already does this. See e.g. https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/abgate/-/merge_requests/2/diffs

Jelmer