Re: depends-on-obsolete-package lsb-base

Hi!

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 09:00, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@bebt.de> wrote:

> On 2023-01-18 Otto Kekäläinen <otto@kekalainen.net> wrote:
> > Lintian just started erroring on 'depends-on-obsolete-package
> > lsb-base' on many of my packages yesterday. There are no new uploads
> [...]
> > Does somebody know what is going on?
>
> > Example:
> > E: mariadb-server: depends-on-obsolete-package Depends: lsb-base (>= 3.0-10)
>
> That is this change
>   * Remove init.d-script-needs-depends-on-lsb-base and add lsb-base to
>     obsolete-packages. (Closes: #1019851)
>
> from this commit:
>
> commit 97f742b00553a4dd7ba681aefa4cc164ea263f71
>     Remove init.d-script-needs-depends-on-lsb-base and add lsb-base to obsolete-packages
>
>     The functionality of lsb-base is in the Essential:yes set since
>     Bullseye. The package itself is now an empty transitional package
>     (because debootstrap doesn't understand the Provides relationship) which
>     depends on the new provider of the functionality, sysvinit-utils, which
>     is also in the Essential:yes set.
>
>     Closes: #1019851

Thanks for an exact reply!

About the execution of this change repository-wide:

Is anyone working on feeding
https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/blob/master/data/fields/obsolete-packages
to https://janitor.debian.net/scrub-obsolete/ so that at least
Salsa-maintained packages would swiftly get on path to get this
dependency removed (and Salsa-CI failures stopped on this Lintian
error)?

As a side note, it would be cool if the Janitor could also mass add
brackets to Lintian overrides (like done manually in
https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/-/commit/6e8c0487a186e1640fe69e2409544b28e6f26164
on Lintian itself) now after that not backwards compatible change was
introduced last summer so that we get it executed repository-wide.