Re: …/doc …/log: .gz → .zst

Quoting Hakan Bayındır (2022-08-19 17:47:42)
> I’d object that, because after we rotate the logs, we use a lot of z
> commands, namely zcat, zgrep, zless. Which allows us process many gigabytes
> of gzip files without extracting them first.
>
> We have a big cluster at office and a central logging system. That system
> handles close to a thousand machines at the same time, and we neither have
> disk space, nor processing power problems.
>
> Sorry for not agreeing with your idea, but operations needs this kind of
> interoperability and composability.

$ apt-file search /bin/zcat
gzip: /bin/zcat
zutils: /bin/zcat

It sounds like you are using zcat from gzip which indeed can only handle gzip
compression. Why don't you use zcat from zutils?

$ apt-file show zutils
zutils: /bin/zcat
zutils: /bin/zcmp
zutils: /bin/zdiff
zutils: /bin/zegrep
zutils: /bin/zfgrep
zutils: /bin/zgrep
zutils: /bin/ztest
zutils: /bin/zupdate
zutils: /etc/zutilsrc

$ apt-cache show zutils
[...]
Description-en: utilities for dealing with compressed files transparently
 Zutils is a collection of utilities for dealing with any combination of
 compressed and non-compressed files transparently. Currently the supported
 compressors are gzip, bzip2, lzip, xz, and zstd.

Problem solved?