Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

Am 19.08.22 um 10:42 schrieb Ansgar:
On Fri, 2022-08-19 at 10:35 +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
P.S. BTW the change Guillem suggests seems like a good idea anyway:
        treating changelogs as control files.

I'm interested: why?

What makes Debian's changelog different from other documentation such
as the upstream changelog, release notes, man pages, ...?

Most things proposed (deduplication, "dpkg --show-changelog" command,
even faster extraction, etc.) can also be implemented with the existing
way of installing them as regular files; the binNMU problem was also
solved 10 years or so ago.

There are however many downsides to special treatment of changelog:

  - Upstream and Debian changelog are suddenly in totally different
    places. Same for release notes (NEWS.Debian, NEWS). Unless one
    makes all of them special data ("dpkg --show-upstream-changelog",
    "dpkg --show-upstream-news", ...?).

I guess this could be solved by dpkg creating symlinks from the "master copy" which is per-source to /usr/share/doc/$binpkg/

There is dh_installdocs --link-doc as prior art, which I considered hacky though, as it requires one main binary package, which holds those files. I don't like this approach, as it is not always possible to have such a "main" package.
It shows though that there is a need for it.

Michael