Re: use of Recommends by vlc to force users to use pipewire

On 2022-05-31 11:43:06 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Anyway, when I upgraded the vlc package two weeks ago, this had the
> effect that PulseAudio was no longer used as the sound server (for
> both vlc and ogg123), though pipewire was already installed (due to
> a Recommends from libpipewire-0.3-0, itself due to a Depends from
> xdg-desktop-portal). The only new package was vlc-plugin-pipewire,
> due to
>
>   * debian/control: Recommend vlc-plugin-pipewire
>
> pipewire-pulse was not installed.

A clarification about this point: Concerning ogg123, it was actually
using the ALSA device (I had default_driver=alsa in /etc/libao.conf),
and before the vlc upgrade, this was automatically forwarding the
stream to PulseAudio (something like that, I don't know the internals).
It is only after the upgrade of the vlc package[*] that things got
really broken with ogg123 too.

[*] I also used VLC after the upgrade, and I suspect that this had
the effect to change something in the configuration, as neither vlc
nor ogg123 was using PulseAudio any longer, as seen in pavucontrol.