Re: Firmware: Scope of non-free-firmware

On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 17:48 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Yeah, of course, but this is because you know what you're doing. If
> you do, then you also probably read the release notes, don't you? :)

I haven't actually read the full release notes in recent years.

I expect a lot of experienced users don't bother to read the release
notes because upgrading from one release to the next is usually the
same procedure and usually fairly uneventful.

I often point people on Debian support channels to particular release
notes items though, like the suite name migration for security updates.
Debian often gets people who encounter errors due to that change but
haven't read the release notes so haven't done the change themselves,
and come asking us instead of reading the release notes.

> Here, we're trying to find a way to warn the people who don't know...

I'm reminded that Debian has no automated release upgrade process, if
we had one then these apt sources changes/notifications could go there.

https://wiki.debian.org/AutomatedUpgrade

--
bye,
pabs