Re: Firmware: Scope of non-free-firmware

On Thu, 2022-05-12 at 16:56 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> If protected by a debconf prompt (by default, doing nothing...), all
> of your remarks are going away.

That means that people who only ever upgrade via unattended-upgrades or
other mechanisms that disable debconf/dpkg prompts etc aren't going to
see the prompt. At work we disable them even when upgrading from one
release to the next. I think that there are too many potential corner
cases in automatically updating apt sources and that it is much simpler
to subset non-free than require updates to apt sources.

For how to announce the availability of the non-free/firmware subset,
an apt hook that checks that installed packages from non-free only
include packages with firmware or microcode in their names seems like
a good idea, along with the usual info in the release notes etc.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise