Re: build-depend on autoconf-archive and rm convenience copy in orig.tar.gz?

Quoting Stefan Weil (2022-01-19 18:07:28)
> Am 19.01.22 um 17:43 schrieb Thomas Koch:
>
> > I searched but apparently this has not yet been discussed anywhere below lists.debian.org.
> >
> > My package ships two convenience copies from autoconf-archive in it's m4 folder. Should I
> >
> > a) leave these files and add the corresponding data to d/copyright or
> > b) leave these files and don't bother about d/copyright or
> > c) remove these files and add build-depend on autoconf-archive, linking the files before dh_autoreconf?
> >
> > Apparently I'm not the only one with uncertainty here:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/949119
> >
> > Thanks for your guidance, Thomas
>

> As I wrote in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=949119#15
> autoconf-archive is not needed for building because the two required
> files are also provided as part of the Tesseract source tree.
>
> Technically all options a), b) and c) use exactly those two files either
> from the Tesseract source tree or from autoconf-archive during the build
> process. Nothing of those files is part of the build results which get
> installed. So a binary install package does not require a copyright
> notice for any of those files.
>
> I don't know the Debian rules for source packages. Do they require an
> extra documentation of all copyrights for any file in the source
> distribution? The licenses of both files don't demand that.

Thanks for elaborating.

The concern is not licensing, but maintenance.  It is covered in Debian
Policy § 4.13:
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#embedded-code-copies

Kind regards,

 - Jonas