Re: build-depend on autoconf-archive and rm convenience copy in orig.tar.gz?

Quoting Thomas Koch (2022-01-19 17:43:39)
> I searched but apparently this has not yet been discussed anywhere below lists.debian.org.
>
> My package ships two convenience copies from autoconf-archive in it's m4 folder. Should I
>
> a) leave these files and add the corresponding data to d/copyright or
> b) leave these files and don't bother about d/copyright or
> c) remove these files and add build-depend on autoconf-archive, linking the files before dh_autoreconf?
>
> Apparently I'm not the only one with uncertainty here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/949119
>
> Thanks for your guidance, Thomas

Please avoid embedded code copies whereever possible - this sounds
easily possible to avoid, so please do that.

I don't follow the argument in bug#949119 that upstream embedding for a
long time somehow makes it better that Debian preserve embedded copies.

NB! Depending on build routines you may not need to manually link (or
copy) files around - they may be automatically copied in by autotools.
I.e. there might be another option:

> d) remove these files in target "clean" (and also repackage source, unless you want to track copyright for those unused files), add build-depend on autoconf-archive, letting dh_autoreconf do its magic?

 - Jonas