Re: Proposed `cargo-upstream` dpkg-buildpackage etc. build profile

Hi Ian,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 10:41:13AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I would like to add the following entry to the table of build
> profiles in BuildProfileSpec:
>
>  Profile anme: `cargo-upstream`
>  Can cause changes to built binaries, including functional chnges. (Y)
>  Should not cause changes to set of build debs. (N)
>    Obtain Rust dependencies from crates.io, not from Debian; use a
>    `Cargo.lock` from the source package if there is one.  Will usually
>    cause cargo to make network accesses.  Ideally, behaviour of the
>    resulting programs will be the same, but this is not guaranteed.
[...]

I have just one question: why make this rust-specific? I think a similar
thing might be useful for golang packages (who also don't support shared
libraries), or, heck, even Perl (if I'm willing to test that the package
works while I have the not-yet-packaged dependencies in my ~/perl5/lib)

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.