Re: Proposed `cargo-upstream` dpkg-buildpackage etc. build profile

[ reply to d-devel only, as more suitable for Debian-wide issue ]

Quoting Ian Jackson (2022-12-15 11:41:13)
> I would like to add the following entry to the table of build
> profiles in BuildProfileSpec:
>
>  Profile anme: `cargo-upstream`
>  Can cause changes to built binaries, including functional chnges. (Y)
>  Should not cause changes to set of build debs. (N)
>    Obtain Rust dependencies from crates.io, not from Debian; use a
>    `Cargo.lock` from the source package if there is one.  Will usually
>    cause cargo to make network accesses.  Ideally, behaviour of the
>    resulting programs will be the same, but this is not guaranteed.
>
> This is useful when developing packages which are to be uploaded to
> Debian, but whose build dependencies are not yet available in the
> targeted suite.

Similar pain for other upstream ecosystems as well - I know about npm
for NodeJS modules, but imagine it is similar for Java and others as
well.

What is the benefit of introducing a standardized flag for this
relatively narrow scope, compared to doing non-standardized fetching of
crates _before_ package build and building with those embedded?
Example of doing that is here: https://salsa.debian.org/debian/helvum
(essentially doing `cargo vendor --versioned-dirs debian/vendorlibs`).

If there is really a need for a standardized flag, then what is the
benefit of a narrow one specific to cargo, compared to a more general
"fetches-source-during-build" that would be suitable also for e.g.
NodeJS fetching npm modules?

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones