UsrMerge vs cruft

Hi,

It looks like UsrMerge finally broke the "cruft" engine for good.

As a mix of bash, Perl and ad-hoc C helpers,
it has be unmaintainable and mostly unmaintained for so many years.

request bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=941998
RM request: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1020293

I wasn't notified about the RM request and stumbled on it by luck,
but I won't oppose it, and will consider moving the
rule database that is now in cruft-common into cruft-ng;
although in a smarter concatenated format, to avoid
wasting inodes with tiny 1 line files.

Does cruft-ng needs to start providing a transitional "cruft" binary package
/ command for pre-existing users, or is this such a niche Q&A utility
(in the likes of adequate, piuparts, diffoscope, lintian) that it can go without ?

cruft-ng still has ways to evolve, for example by processing the globing patterns
for R/W files provided in AppArmor templates by more and more packages.

Any comments are welcome.

Greetings,

Alexandre Detiste