Re: R³ by default: not for bookworm

Hi!

On Sun, 2022-09-18 at 03:39:43 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> A few packages had a value of R³ other than "no" / "binary-targets",
> these are deprecated now; bugs filed.

Deprecated by who or what?

> The process of adding/changing a field in "control" differs between the
> three source formats we have.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand this statement.

> Of these, the most involved format is 1.0 -- you need to repack the
> whole source. And quite a bunch of packages fail that step, not even
> letting me to modify anything.  I guess FTBS bugs need to be enforced...

Nor this one. Could you give more details?

> Almost any format 1.0 package with R³ unset does so not because of an
> actual need for fakeroot, but because of an ancient build system and a
> decade or two of neglect.

Lack of debhelper/dh usage certainly makes adding the field more
challenging, yes.

> Format "3.0 (native)":
> The complete list of packages that FTBFS if you set them to R³:no is:
[…]

> Format "3.0 (quilt)":
> In a pile of build logs that looks incomplete:
>
>     408 Status: attempted
>       6 Status: failed
>      32 Status: given-back
>      15 Status: skipped
>   12387 Status: successful

Thanks for these checks! But in addition to checking whether these failed,
did you check that they ended up with the same user:group and perms (such
as SUID), as before setting the field?

> Thus: let's revisit R³ being required after Bookworm.

My current thinking though, has been to change the default via something
like:

  <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/DpkgDevCompatLevel>

Thanks,
Guillem