Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

On 06/09/22 10:25, Paul Wise wrote:
On Tue, 2022-09-06 at 07:13 +0200, Gioele Barabucci wrote:

* Packages not meant to be included in Debian (and without access to a
changelog server): Creators that want to preserve the full history can
use the `--no-trim` option to disable the trimming.

Most derivatives aren't going to have a changelog server so I don't
think it makes sense to enable it by default on all derivatives.

Perhaps the dpkg vendor could be used as guidance for when the trimming
should occur by default? Unless Debian/Ubuntu, disable by default.

I have searched the debhelper's source code and its documentation for how it handles derivative distros, and it seems to me that

1) derivative distros are not handled at all,

2) the implicit policy is that vendors will modify the default parameters to suit their needs.

In addition (or in alternative) to what Niels suggested in the other reply, derivatives could add to their patchsets a 1-line patch to make `--no-trim` the default. That would be in line with the kind of modifications that derivs to fit Debian to their needs, wouldn't it?

Regards,

--
Gioele Barabucci