Re: Half the world being removed

Paul Gevers writes ("Re: Half the world being removed"):
> On 02-09-2022 07:27, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 11:04:38PM -0500, Steven Robbins wrote:
> >> Suddenly half the packages are marked AUTOREMOVE; many due to gcc-12 and zlib.
> >> The related two bugs are months-old.
> >>
> >> Why are things suddenly being removed??
> > Both are key packages per
> > https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/key_packages.yaml.cgi so it must be some
> > recent problem that causes the things to ignore that.
>
> I'll look into it tonight (UTC+2). I did make one change to udd
> yesterday. I thought it was safe because I just reverted an exception to
> allow scikit-learns removal.
>
> There are probably bugs involved.

Thanks.

I don't want to add to the stressball but: this isn't the first time
that we've had malfunctions which want to remove very large numbers of
packages.  Obviously this is a complicated algorithm and I understand
that there will be bugs.

I wonder if it would be possible to detect a sudden large increase in
the number of autoremovals, and stop the autoremoval system instead of
causing blaring klaxons for everyone in the project ?

That might make the failures less disruptive.  (And would avoid having
everyone pile-on.)

Ian.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.