Re: Transition proposal: pkg-config to pkgconf

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2022, at 14:41, Wookey wrote:
>> Meanwhile, I have uploaded an updated version of the package which dropped the crosswrapper, and instead uses the "personalities" feature to implement its functionality. The package also no longer needs a dpkg hook, as it ships a per-architecture symlinks in arch-specific packages.

> I would like to understand how the cross stuff works with this
> personalities thing, but it may be a while before I get round to
> it. Again I shall assume that you know what you are doing :-)
> If Helmut is happy then I'm sure it's good.

The idea is that e.g. pkgconf:amd64 provides /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-pkg-config, which is a symlink to pkgconf, and /usr/share/pkgconfig/personality.d/x86_64-linux-gnu.personality, which defines DefaultSearchPaths and SystemLibraryPaths to be appropriate values for amd64. pkgconf:amd64 itself doesn’t ship a pkgconf binary, which is, instead, provided in pkgconf-bin, a Multi-Arch: foreign package.
pkgconf detects that it’s run using a symlink, and uses it to select the matching personality, and then provides results based on these settings.
So, unless I’ve messed up with the multi-arch stuff, it should be enough to install pkgconf:<arch> to cross-build packages.

--
Cheers,
  Andrej