Re: debhelper-compat should allow >= relations

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:

> it's completely identical to putting 13 into debian/compat

Oh. So it is. I vaguely remember that using debian/compat and
"Build-Depends: debhelper" generated some lintian complaints. I don't
see those anymore, though. Is doing something like that frowned-upon?
I'd probably stick with compat level 11 or so.

>> I'm having to patch debian/control every time I do a build
> You presumably also have to patch debian/changelog, and building a single
> unchanged (apart from debian/changelog) package for multiple distros is
> not going to always work either (even for very vanilla packages, e.g.
> because of different versions for versioned B-D in Debian and Ubuntu).

Totally. Yeah. There aren't a huge number of packages here, and there
aren't a ton of people using them. If something breaks, I'll get a bug
report, and I'll fix it. It's well worth it to get APT as a distribution
mechanism.

Thanks much