Re: debhelper-compat should allow >= relations

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 11:15:30AM -0700, Dima Kogan wrote:
> Hi. This probably has been covered before
It wasn't, but it's completely identical to putting 13 into debian/compat,
which never supported >= either.

> This works fine if you're building for Debian/sid in 2022. It does not
> work in any other context. I have a very common use case: at work I'm
> maintaining several APT repos for the packages we use for several
> distros (the last few releases of Debian and Ubuntu). The latest Debian
> already has the packages in it, so the Build-Depends line is exactly as
> above. But this means that building the package for any of the older
> releases fails. And if I say something reasonable like
>
>   Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (>= 11)
And the recommendation was always "put 11 into debian/compat if you want
to build on older distros".

> It isn't helpful. Most packages (including mine) are very vanilla, and
> there isn't any difference between debhelper 11 or 12 or 13.
(there can be important changes even in very vanilla packages)

> I'm having to patch debian/control every time I do a build
You presumably also have to patch debian/changelog, and building a single
unchanged (apart from debian/changelog) package for multiple distros is
not going to always work either (even for very vanilla packages, e.g.
because of different versions for versioned B-D in Debian and Ubuntu).

--
WBR, wRAR