Re: how about telegram channel

On Mi, 2022-07-20 15:39:40, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19 2022 at 09:01:22 PM +02:00:00 +02:00:00, Bartosz Fenski
> <bartosz@fenski.pl> wrote:
> > Hey folks.
> >
> > Anyone interested in switching to some more modern channels of
> > communication?
> >
> > I'm tired of keeping VPS just to have IRC client and to be honest I
> > think modern solutions like Telegram are simply easier and much more
> > practical nowadays.
>
> Both Matrix and XMPP has bridges to IRC and both have built-in browsers.
> From philosophical point of view both Matrix and XMPP are fine (free
> software on client plus server and federated).
>
> Self hosting Matrix requires much more resources compared to XMPP (more disk
> space, processing, memory and constant updating). Matrix definitely have
> more appealing clients and XMPP clients still need more work in this area.
> As some one who self host both (at https://poddery.com), I prefer hosting
> XMPP over Matrix. There are also bridges between XMPP and Matrix too.

The XMPP Team is also very active by adding new upstream versions
into Debian and upload to backports.
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-xmpp-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org

You can also find some more information about the upstream
projects in the blog post from 13 July 2021:
https://xmpp-team.pages.debian.net/blog/2021/07/xmpp-novelties-in-debian-11-bullseye.html

New version are available for dino-im, gajim, profanity on
backports. Also prosody and ejabberd server.

biboumi is an XMPP-IRC gateway. There is also an ITP for
spectrum2. #672699

Maybe one footnote (I'm a XMPP user, not matrix): AFAIK Matrix says
it's a "message store" and not a messaging protocol. I'm not sure
if a "message store" is required. I think a messaging protocol is
fine.