Re: how about matrix channel

On 2022/07/19 22:12, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

On 19/07/2022 21:04, Wookey wrote:
On 2022-07-19 21:01 +0200, Bartosz Fenski wrote:
Hey folks.

Anyone interested in switching to some more modern channels of
communication?

I'm tired of keeping VPS just to have IRC client and to be honest I think
modern solutions like Telegram are simply easier and much more practical
nowadays.
Matrix please. It's free software all the way through. We can run our
own server. Not-mobile-phones are 1st class clients.

I'm increasingly using it to replace IRC (with bridges if
appropriate). I'd be happy to see debian move channels from IRC to
Matrix. I'm not happy about moving them to Telegram or Signal, which
are obviously a great improvement on Whatsapp but still only
somewhat-free. Telegram has non-free back-end. Signal is presumably OK
if you run your own back-end, but you try to use the centralised one
then you can't build your own client (or at least it's made extremely
difficult). Signal requires an active mobile phone number to use (not
sure if telegram is the same).

I'm fine with IRC too. It's not broken, but unless you have your own
permanent IRC client instance somewhere it's not great. Having the
store and-forward done by someone else (unless you want to still do it
yourself) is nice.

Wookey

I agree.

Importantly, Matrix is (1) federated, (2) can be bridged with other networks, eg IRC.

(as well as being open and free). Its hard to see Signal inter-operating to others. As tech evolves, we need to stick to principles of being open in the sense of federation, not being centralized.

There is the Debian Social [1] Matrix instance at https://element.debian.social. You can sign in with Salsa. Many of the Debian IRC channels are bridged and collected in the #debian:matrix.debian.social space.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianSocial

Cheers
Kyle

--