Re: RFC: Additions to dpkg's Pre-Depends

On Wed, 2022-07-06 at 17:30:22 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > Unless I'm mistaken if dpkg dep on libcap(2) and libaudit, then dpkg
> > would transitively dep on both libcap(2) and libcap-ng which seems
> > suboptimal.
>
> Yes, but its an internal implementation detail, so libaudit could be
> switched, and for now, at least they will not end up in the same address
> space. Of course pulling both is not ideal, but on Linux they are both
> already part of the pseudo-essential set anyway, and they are tiny
> compared to say the libzstd one, so…

I just noticed that libcap-ng and libaudit seem to share the same
upstream, so while I might be wrong, I'd expect there could be some
resistance to switch or add support for another POSIX capabilities
library.

If this was question where only one library can end up being used, I
think I'd still take libcap over libcap-ng *and* libaudit.

Thanks,
Guillem