Re: RFC: Additions to dpkg's Pre-Depends

On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 05:13:05AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
[...]
> * libaudit-dev
>   - Rationale:
>     This could allow to add Linux audit support to dpkg on package action
>     events. I've got a branch that might need minor polishing, but could
>     otherwise be merged.
>
>   - Essential/Build-Essential:
>     On Linux it is already part of the pseudo-essential set.
[...]
> * libcap-dev
>   - Rationale:
>     This could allow to add support to start-stop-daemon (already code
>     available) to drop POSIX capabilities. And also in the future (either
>     later in 1.21.x or 1.22.x) to support fsys POSIX capabilities as part
>     of the fyss metadata tracking support that is upcoming.
>
>   - Essential/Build-Essential:
>     On Linux it is already part of the pseudo-essential set.
[...]

IIRC there are several competing capability libraries already part of
pseudo essential. I think it would be good if we could identify one and
work towards having only that in pseudo essential (and in theory maybe
the entire archive use it). Maybe it's out of scope for this discussion
though...

Unless I'm mistaken if dpkg dep on libcap(2) and libaudit, then dpkg
would transitively dep on both libcap(2) and libcap-ng which seems
suboptimal.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libcap2
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libcap-ng

Regards,