Re: Lintian breaks existing lintian-overrides due to added []

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 02:49:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realised that lintian (at least) starting with version 2.115.1 (may be
> earlier) wraps file names into [] which breaks existing
> lintian-overrides.  Random example:
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/biomaj3-user/-/blob/master/debian/lintian-overrides
>
> now becomes invalid by lintian claiming
>
>   W: python3-biomaj3-user: mismatched-override script-with-language-extension usr/bin/biomaj-users.py [usr/share/lintian/overrides/python3-biomaj3-user:2]
>   W: python3-biomaj3-user: script-with-language-extension [usr/bin/biomaj-users.py]
>
> I consider these [] not helpful since it breaks lots of
> lintian-overrides with no visible advantage.  Could this change in
> lintian please be reverted?

Or perhaps make the new format default (I quite like it better from a
visual perspective), and issue a deprecation warning for the old format
(e.g., when -I is specified).

Then perhaps after the next stable release drop the old format.

> Thanks a lot for maintaining lintian in any case

+1

Regards,

-Roberto

--