Re: ITP: BabaSSL -- BabaSSL is a base library for modern cryptography and communication security protocols.

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 12:43 AM Lance Lin <LQi254@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Lance Lin <lqi254@protonmail.com>
>
> * Package name    : libBabaSSL
>   Version         : 8.3.1
>   Upstream Author : Copyright (c) 2020-2022 Alibaba Digital Economy
> * URL             : https://github.com/BabaSSL/BabaSSL
> * License         : Apache 2.0
>   Programming Lang: C
>   Description     : BabaSSL is a base library for modern cryptography and communication security protocols.
>
> - BabaSSL is a modern cryptographic and secure protocol library developed by the amazing people in Alibaba Digital Economy.
> - BabaSSL provides the following major features:
> -    Support RFC 8998, Chinese SM cipher suites in TLS 1.3 protocol
> -    Support NTLS (formal GM dual-certificate protocol) handshake processing, according to GB/T 38636-2020 TLCP
> -    QUIC API support
> -    Support delegated credentials, according to draft-ietf-tls-subcerts-10
>
> I plan to package and maintain BabaSSL myself.

AFAIK this library is forked from OpenSSL with some extensive
modifications to support new crypto technologies, do you think we need
to involve the Security Team to review whether this package can be
supported during the next stable release cycle?

Also this project has a planned rename, and I'm a bit concerned this
could cause some maintenance burden if the rename is not well
coordinated at the time we accept it into Debian.

Regards,
Aron