Re: how to convey package porting details?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 10:47:38AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 06, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > There are lots of packages that need porting to every new architecture
> > that comes along. There are others that don't require porting but
> > benefit in some way from porting to some aspect of the architecture.
> Is this really worth the effort, considering that probably RISC-V is
> going to be our last port for a very long time?

loongarch has just been merged into mainline kernel, is in binutils 2.38
and gcc 12, and those guys seems to be doing some serious work to get
into distributions.

Besides CPU archs, it looks worthwhile to investigate replacing glibc
with musl, which would represented as a new arch.

We may also want to raise ISA baseline in eg. amd64 -- with the amount
of old hardware in the wild, it'd certainly be done like armel->armhf
rather than i386->(really i686).

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁                                   Loongarch's name is loong.