Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 09:41:35 +0300, Hakan Bay?nd?r <hakan@bayindir.org>
wrote:
>As a person who's handling a lot of servers, I can tell that most high
>performance hardware is running either load-on-boot (generally ethernet
>and other network cards) or persistent (generally storage and RAID
>contollers) non-free firmware blobs.
>
>First category can perform basic tasks without firmware, but servers
>being servers, this low performance mode is undesirable barring
>light-load servers which is both a minority and a contradiction to the
>word server in my profession.

A machine that can boot and install debian without needing the
firmware blob is already one step better than a machine that needs an
install medium with firmware.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |