Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Hi,

On 4/23/22 11:07 PM, Iustin Pop wrote:

Making Debian hard to use is a very short-sighted view of how to promote
free software - it works in the very short term only.

The same applies in the other direction -- making no real distinction between free and non-free software is a short term solution to the usability problem, but does not incentivize hardware vendors to open up designs in the slightest.

With drivers, user awareness is there at least. People know that the nV drivers are essentially unsupported and if it breaks, they get to keep the pieces. The same isn't true for firmware, users just expect that stuff will work and if it doesn't, it's Debian's fault. We can either validate that expectation, or push back on it, saying "this hardware is supported on a best-effort basis, but we can't help you because it's closed source."

   Simon