Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 05:03:29AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> > Making Debian hard to use is a very short-sighted view of how to promote
> > free software - it works in the very short term only.
>
> The same applies in the other direction -- making no real distinction
> between free and non-free software is a short term solution to the usability
> problem, but does not incentivize hardware vendors to open up designs in the
> slightest.
Does the status quo incentivize them?

> With drivers, user awareness is there at least.
(only for people who can actually differentiate drivers and firmware)

> People know that the nV drivers are essentially unsupported and if it
> breaks, they get to keep the pieces.
As opposed to "nouveau usually doesn't work and if it indeed doesn't, just
install the non-free driver".

> The same isn't true for firmware, users just expect that stuff will work
> and if it doesn't, it's Debian's fault. We can either validate that
> expectation, or push back on it, saying "this hardware is supported on a
> best-effort basis, but we can't help you because it's closed source."
This, again, should be equally applied to loadable firmware and firmware
on the board.

--
WBR, wRAR