Re: RFC: pam: dropping support for NIS/NIS+?

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:07:52PM +0200, lange@debian.org wrote:
> I'm using NIS since 20+ years in a small network with about 60 computers.
> Since I manage all computers and the physical network can be seen as secure
> (I know it's not perfect secure) I do not need the additional crypto
> features of NIS+ or LDAP, which would be overkill. All my users use
> yppasswd on the NIS master for changing their password. I guess I
> still need pam support for this because I set things like this in
> pam.d/common-password:

> password        requisite                       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 difok=3 minlen=14

> Yes, I surely would miss the NIS support.

If your users are using yppasswd on the NIS master for changing passwords,
then evidently you are not relying on support for NIS in PAM.  (yppasswd
doesn't even link against libpam.)

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/