Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Am 22. April 2022 07:18:50 MESZ schrieb Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>:
>Am Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:12:19AM -0700 schrieb Russ Allbery:
>>
>> I've been a Debian Developer for quite some time and can usually manage to
>> figure out most tasks like this, and providing separate firmware to the
>> installer has completely defeated me every time I've tried it.

>I confirm that I never ever managed to provide the needed firmware to
>the free official installer.

This is just a "me too".

(similar to Russ and Andreas) I have spent many years with Debian (~25 for me), and if the old folks  can't manage to use the free official installers, then I think/agree that it's outright hypocrisy to nudge new users into this pitfall.

I'd be very happy with option 5, and I'm in the camp of those who like a strictly opt-in solution (that can be preseeded)

mfh.her.fsr
IOhannes