Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On 4/22/22 08:18, Andreas Tille wrote:
Am Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:12:19AM -0700 schrieb Russ Allbery:

I've been a Debian Developer for quite some time and can usually manage to
figure out most tasks like this, and providing separate firmware to the
installer has completely defeated me every time I've tried it.  I've spent
frustrated hours trying to follow the documentation and doing things that
look right only to have the installer say that there's no firmware visible
without any clue as to how to debug the errors.  Every time I have tried
this, I have eventually given up and found the non-free images, which just
worked.

If this is going to be the solution, it has to be WAY easier to do.

I confirm that I never ever managed to provide the needed firmware to
the free official installer.  Thus my consequence was to ignore it and
just use the non-free firmware enabled installer.  I do not think that
it is sensible to let users make this experience themselves and I'm
really welcoming the effort Steve did.  Out of the original post I
prefer option 5.  Currently I don't habe time to read the whole thread
but I have spotted some sensible enhancements of option 5 that are
worth discussing.

I understand the sentiment and what you're coming from. This is also my experience, but it doesn't mean the process can be refined and made better in my opinion.

I think, regardless of the solution we have at the end, making this firmware introduction process work better is a nice improvement worthy of considering.

Cheers,

H.

Thanks a lot Steve

      Andreas.