Re: Keep both images but stop pretending no-free is unofficial

Marc Haber dijo [Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 06:56:54PM +0200]:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:21:10 -0600, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >One valuable suggestion was to make sure users could easily select
> >freedom if that's what they wanted.
> >So I think a free installation image is important.
>
> Would that not be possible by having an image WITH firmware and an
> installer asking whether the user wants a free or a usable system?

Up to a certain point, I guess. But users do get confused by Debian, a
stubbornly-free distribution, having multiple images –some official,
some unblessed– on different places.

Maybe if the free image finds (important? i.e. the only connectivity
option, or required for enabling a video card beyond framebuffer?)
hardware for which firmware is required, it could display a prominent
message, suggesting the user to download the
official-but-firmware-carrying images from a simple debian.org URL.