Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 01:39:39PM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:

> > > I know it's documented, but it's buried deep down.
> > It's linked in the same yellow block on the page you linked as the archive
> > itself.
> > I mean, I agree it's not good but most of places on debian.org that are
> > related to downloading are not good. At least
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
> > is now just two clicks away from the main page.
>
> Again, I think two clicks is too deep. A newcomer doesn't have to know the
> difference between all the files there. We're having this discussion because
> I see that the current amount of friction is seen as detrimental, and I
> agree.
Yes, my position was always "the only ISO link on the main page should be
the firmware netinst" but I understand that it's a minority one.

> > > In my ideal world (for newcomers), the link should produce the file
> > > directly, not the directory, or they get the tool, insert a USB drive, and
> > > viola.
> > They should just get the firmware ISO and burn it instead of fiddling with
> > all of that.
>
> "The user shall do X" is not a very correct standpoint either. Even if we
> decide to add the firmware somehow into the "Official" ISOs, I still believe
> having a simple tool to do all of that is beneficial for new starters.
Providing a free ISO and a set of stuff to make it usable is strictly
worse (from the usability perspective) than providing a usable ISO right
away, and we even build the usable ISO already, we just hide it and
surround it with obsolete/hypocritical/outright false words, such as "For
convenience for some users, this unofficial alternative build includes
non-free firmware for extra support for some awkward hardware."

> If we want to have more new users or entice people who're starting to
> use/try Linux, initial barrier should be lowered.
I agree and I don't see why this should be done with a set of additional
tools instead of a directly usable ISO.

--
WBR, wRAR