Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Hi Andrey,

On 4/21/22 10:50, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 09:57:36AM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
As everybody knows, Debian is also releasing the said firmware as compressed
archives and these are visible in the download page [0], however usage and
documentation is neither clearly documented, nor easy for the beginners or
casual users.
(it's documented at https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04
for a separate drive, there may be some documentation about putting the
files to the installation drive but at that point the user should just
burn the firmware ISO)

I know it's documented, but it's buried deep down. I'm talking about reducing the so-called "click-depth" for getting the related tools and files.

In my ideal world (for newcomers), the link should produce the file directly, not the directory, or they get the tool, insert a USB drive, and viola.

The whole process can be simplified with a simple GUI/CLI tool akin to
GRML2USB which accepts the ISO file and burns (sic) it to a USB drive, and
simplifying the whole process a lot. The tool can accept the ZIP file, or
can have checkbox saying "Integrate firmware" if one decides to make such
tool auto-downloading resources.
Only as long as it's usable on Windows.

I'm aware, and yes, I mean the tool needs to support Windows. If Raspberry-Pi can have such a tool, Debian can/should have it too.

When someone knows Debian already, everything is easy, however one should avoid falling into this bias in my opinion. We all know our way around, but discussing this matter for the people who don't.

Cheers,

H.