Re: Is there room for improvement in our collaboration model?

On Fri, 2022-04-15 at 00:17 -0400, M. Zhou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noted this problem recently. Our model for team collaboration (specifically for
> package maintenance) is somewhat primitive.
>
> We are volunteers. Nobody can continuously maintain a package for decades like a machine.
> Currently our practice for accepting other people's help involves:
> (1) low-threshold NMU. This is not quite easy to lookup (only shows on tracker.d.o, etc)
> (2) VAC note in debian-private channel. Who remembers you said the others can help you
> upload a package? And when does that temporary permission expire? What tracks that?
> (3) salsa permission. Yes, after joining the salsa team, others can commit code as they like.
> However, when it needs to be uploaded, the others still have to write mail to the maintainer
> for an ack. Whether multiple peoples should commit at the same time is coordinated through
> emails in order to avoid duplicated work.
> (4) last-minute NMU/delayed. When the others cannot bear an RC bug anymore, they may
> want to nmu upload to the delayed queue.
> (5) intend to salvage. When the others cannot hear from me for very long time, this
> is the only formal way to take over maintanence (afaik).
>
> The problems are:
> (1) whether multiple people should work on the same package at the same time is
> based on human communication. Namely, acquiring lock and releasing lock on a package
> is done through human communication. This is clearly something could be improved.
> It should be some program to acquire and release the lock.
> (2) different packages are clearly regarded differently by people.
> I'm actually very open to the other people hijacking some of my selected packages
> and fix these packages as they like. Namely, I think there should be a system where
> we can optionally tag our packages as:
>
>  A. The other DDs can do whatever they like to this package and upload directly
>     without asking me in a hijacking way.
>  B. May git commit but should ask before upload.
>  C. Must ask before any action.
>  D. ...
>
> You know that in parallel programming, optimizing IPC (in this context it would be
> inter-DD communication) and optimizing the locking mechanism could help.
>
> My motivation for pointing these stems from some uncomfortable feelings when
> it's hard to get response from busy maintainers. If I understand correctly,
> technically DDs have enough permission to hijack any package and do the upload.
> People are polite and conservative to not abuse that power. But ... in order to
> improve contributor experience in terms of collaboration ... maybe we can
> use that tagging mechanism to formally allow a little bit of upload permission abuse.
>
> I think this will also improve newcomer's contributing experience.
> This proposal is also filed at
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/34

What about doing something even simpler - rather than having additional
generic/core tags/teams/groups, for packages where one wants to say
"please help yourself/ourselves", simply set the Maintainer field to
debian-devel@lists.debian.org, have the Salsa repository in the debian/
namespace, and that's it? From thereon, anyone can do team-uploads by
pushing to salsa and uploading directly, no need for
acks/delays/permissions/requests.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi