Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

Hi!

On Tue, 2022-03-15 at 15:36:48 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> However, given that I perceive that:
>   - there is a campaign to abolish 1.0
>   - there are important use cases where 1.0 is needed
>   - the campaign to abolish 1.0 is being prosecuted anyway
> I have deliberately chosen to continue to upload even pure-native
> packages as 1.0, to try to slow this process down in the hope that the
> situation improves and/or people stop trying to forbid useful things.

Ian, just to try to give some kind of reassurance. I'm not involved
with this MBF in any way (neither suggested nor prompted it, etc.).
While I'd like to see the practice of mismatched format vs version
disappear, I also neither did nor have immediate plans to make that
an error for 1.0 formats, as long as there are users at least in
Debian, or there are no viable alternatives, because I consider 1.0
confusing enough and not salvageable, that it makes less of a
difference there. If there ever comes the time where it's feasible to
error out on 1.0 on those conditions, I'd even be fine with a force
option but only for 1.0 formats, because I really want to preserve
2.0+ formats as clear as possible, and improve on those. I also have
no plans to abolish building source format 1.0 in dpkg.

Something I might want to see though (although I hold not much hope
for) is a possible move away from the default behavior when no
debian/source/format is present, as I think that gives bad defaults
for newcomers or inexperienced users, and even there just emitting
warnings tend to be ignored. Possible alternatives could be, either
erroring out, or changing the default format depending on say a
dpkg-compat level, or similar, I don't know, have not thought this
through though. But explicitly marking sources as 1.0 (as has been
warned for a long time now) would of course keep working as of right
now.

HTH,
Guillem