Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:46:10AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0"):
> > But I see now that the MBF has gone ahead anyway.

> For example, consider a package maintained by a sponsee of mine:
>
> Debian is not upstream, so it has a Debian revision.  The package is
> maintained in git, and the source package is very small and it is not
> uploaded frequently.  So we use a native source format.  This means
> that we must use format 1.0 because dpkg hates 3.0 native with debian
> revision.

So the package is really non-native; your beef here is with requiring a
tarball.  Your workaround is to [mis]use the native format.

But even legitimely native packages do want a Debian revision sometimes.
Eg. the natural versioning for valgrind-if-available would track
corresponding valgrind versions.  The 3.0 format restriction forbids
that.

So the bad thing is tying the internal format with version numbers.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁                            'Russkiy voyennyi korabl, idi nakhuy'