Re: MBF: valgrind-if-available

On 2022-02-27 Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 01:40:48AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
>> This should use "command -v", not which, I think?

> No, and the recent debacle revealed enough reasons that I'm pondering a MBF
> to change that _back_ in packages which followed the bad advice.

> Among others, "command -v"
> * gets confused by aliases
> * it fails to check +x perm both in dash and bash.  While this is something
>   required by POSIX, neither shell in unstable checks that, reporting the
>   command as executable if it's not.
> * built-ins get reported as available.  And busybox has even "dpkg"
>   built-in, with a pretty bad implementation.
[...]

Hello,

Is any of this relevant in the context Debian package building
(especially by autobuilders)? The only thing I can see is if $developer
had a nonexec ~/bin/somecommand and wondered why the local behavior
differed from the autobuilders. Aliases are a non-issue. Built-ins
(like command -v) actually are available, and when the respective
command is called the builtin will be used.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'