Re: Automated copyright reviews using REUSE/SPDX as alternative to DEP-5

Phil Morrell <debian@emorrp1.name> writes:

> The point about uscan is interesting, since if upstream does take on the
> hard work of license verification such that packaging is just checking,
> then they're unlikely to have any Files-Excluded, so that would have to
> merged somehow.

My intuition (I admit that I haven't done a survey) is that Files-Excluded
is less frequently used for cases where upstream has not done license
verification and is more frequently used for cases where upstream
disagrees with Debian over what is and is not free software.  (IETF RFCs
are a sadly common example.)