Re: Cloud team plans for cloud-hosted mirrors

 ❦ 26 January 2022 10:04 +01, Marc Haber:

>>> Are the IP ranges of the Cloud Providers registered that badly that
>>> deb.debian.org wouldn't reliably point to the mirrors inside the
>>> provider's infrastructure? Or are the cloud providers' mirrors
>>> differnet from what we expect from a Debian mirror?
>>
>>deb.debian.org is served from fastly and AWS CDNs - so it's outside of most
>>cloud provider's infrastructure.
>
> So it is not possible to hook arbitrary mirrors into deb.debian.org
> and we're dependent on Fastly and AWS here?
>
> I thought it was something more flexible.

This was redir.debian.org. I was very happy with it. I never understood
why we replaced it by something centralized. There were problems with it
and nobody was fixing them, but I think we have never been told exactly
what the problems were. But I can understand how using an external CDN
is less a burden than maintaining a redirector like our customn one or
something like MirrorBrain (not packaged in Debian but used by many open
source projects).

deb.debian.org is just a CNAME to Fastly.

At my location (France, 1st ISP, FTTH; was the same in Switzerland),
Fastly is very slow from time to time (once every two months? less than
100 KB/s). Their support fix it in a day or two once you tell them. I
have switched back to geographic mirrors: ftp.fr and ftp.ch never failed
to deliver good performance.
--
Use the fundamental control flow constructs.