Re: Cloud team plans for cloud-hosted mirrors

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 09:47:49PM -0800, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The cloud team wants to make folks aware of a possible change to the cloud
> images.  The team plans to register a new domain, debian.cloud, for mirrors
> inside of cloud provider infrastructure.  For such mirrors, sources.list will
> look like:
>   deb http://<provider>.debian.cloud/debian/ bullseye main
>
> Hosting mirrors inside the cloud infrastructure provides users with faster,
> cheaper access to the archive.  And since it saves the providers money, they're
> often willing to provide the hosting infrastructure for free.  Our image build
> process allows customizing sources.list with these mirrors when possible.  All
> of this is great!
>
> But some of the hostnames are controlled by the cloud providers.  Mostly, this
> has happened when the name is assigned by a CDN.  This isn't optimal: if that
> name ever changes, users with the old hostname will be unable to install
> packages.
>
> These names have been very stable.  But in some providers, they're tied to
> cloud accounts.  This makes it impossible to move the mirror to another account
> without losing the name.  And of course, for reasons [1], we need to move some
> of these mirrors.
>
> Since a migration is required, we'd like to adopt debian-controlled hostnames
> in sources.list.  This way, we can never lose the hostnames that appear in
> sources.list.
>
> Our first choice would be a subzone of debian.org.  But we are not in DSA, and
> haven't been able to get help with this request.  So in the interest of making
> progress, a new domain is the simplest alternative.
>
> I don't know when this work will be complete - hopefully, all of the new
> infrastructure will be ready to go for the next stable release.

Hi,

I think we (DSA) have been reluctant to add new third-party-run services
under debian.org, and it's not clear to me if that infrastructure would
be run by the cloud team on behalf of debian, or if the cloud team would
control the names but point them at mirrors run by the cloud providers
themselves.

Either way as Stefano said if you go for a new domain name it should be
possible to use the same setup as our other domains if you want.

Cheers,
Julien