Re: Reconsider sending ITP bugs to debian-devel: a new list?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:26:09AM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> Honestly I thought that being able to cope with
> large quantities of email--researching new solutions and implementing
> them if necessary--was part of job description of doing Debian work,

I don't like this kind of phrasing. It reads like "if you can't take the
heat, stay out of the kitchen". Indeed working in Debian does mean
coping with a lot of mail. I personally think this is a problem for
attracting newer, perhaps younger contributors; I think it has been for
a while and I think it will only get worse. Coping strategies for a lot
of mail include using decent mail software (which I do); although I
would like that not to be a barrier for entry; using mail filters (which
I do; I've written elsewhere in this thread how that is not ideal for
ITP mail to -devel); and targetting mailing lists: which is what I was
proposing.

As it happens the list I was proposing already exists; debian-wnpp. So
my proposal becomes: we should send a digest mail from debian-wnpp to
debian-devel instead of all initial ITP mails as we do today.

> +1 It sends the wrong message if we have a bug in commonly used software
> on the default desktop that is so severe that people discuss
> accommodating this bug with infrastructure changes rather than fixing
> the buggy software.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I (thread originator) and not doing
this: I don't use Evolution and haven't participated in the other
thread.

--
👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org