Re: ARM architectures

Hi,

On 2021-06-05 4:08 a.m., Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 01:16:44 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside
> <debian@polynamaude.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a ARM platform that can easily run Linux.
>> Support using terminal over serial port for booting (no need of a GPU).
>>
>> I know about the Raspberry PI but the GPU drivers are not open source.
>> I don't really need a GPU, if I do need graphics then I could always go
>> with a X over Ethernet.
>
> I'd still consider the Raspberry Pi. It's unfortunate that the binary
> non-free blob is already needed to boot the box even if one doesn't
> need/use the GPU after booting, but it is reasonably common that
> people care about their software on the platform, and it's also
> affordable and has versions with enough RAM available.
>
> Many of the options pointed out by Siji Sunny are a decade old and
> therfore do not fill your with for a "modern" platform. I am currently
> in the process of fading out the Banana Pis because the platform has
> never really taken off and a dual core 32 bit CPU with 1 GB RAM is
> running out of fun these days. The Raspberry Pi 4 does not have many
> of the disadvantages of the older Raspberry Pi models (it has decently
> connected Gigabit Ethernet and USB3 that can be used to reasonably
> connect external mass storage).

I always appreciate all opinions. But what I surely dislike is people
that put others option down to raiser their own.

I've checked the options that Sunny gave me and here's one of them... As
you can see, it's quad core.

Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 CPU
Dual core Mali 400 MP2 GPU
1G DDR3 SDRAM
support SATA interface
MicroSD slot supports up to 256GB expansion
Not 8G eMMC flash onboard
CSI camera intface and DSI display interface support
10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet port
(4) USB 2.0 hosts and (1) USB otg port
1080P high-definition video playback
HDMI port and multi-channel audio output
WIFI&Bluetooth 4.0 with 802.11BGN onboard
3.5mm Stereo Output mini-jack with microphone support

I do agree that the Raspberry is able to run up to 4 Gb, but there's
other board too.

I am looking exactly for the type of board I've got in the link, that is
a SBC type board that can be small enough to pack many of them in a box
to do massive parallel math work.

As this project, there's security constraint that impose me to use
opensource or audit possible solution.

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside