Re: Seeking feedback on a meta package builder

Hi Sean,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 04:47:44PM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> dgit wraps some of the existing tools.  While dgit is mainly for humans,
> one role it can have in automated toolchains is producing an ephemeral
> source package for the purpose of performing a build where the real
> input is a git tree.  dgit knows how to convert various forms of git
> tree into source packages and there are TODOs for some others.

While dgit does wrap build tools and thus could be a possible mdbp user,
dgit does so in a way that forwards the flexibility of those build tools
through dgit. As such, it has a subcommand for each implementation and
lets the user fiddle with the underlying implementation in the way they
want without providing any kind of abstraction. I'm vaguely convinced
that for dgit, this is best. An abstraction could be added as another
subcommand if desired, but does buy little in the end. After all, dgit
users tend to want tight control over the build and know their favourite
build tool well.

The intended audience for the abstraction on the other hand would be
performing many builds in a mechanical way.

Helmut