Re: releasing major library change to unstable without coordination

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 11:07:51 PM EST Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > It's not an either or.
> >
> > Generally, the Release Team should coordinate timing of transitions.  New
> > libraries should be staged in Experimental first.  Maintainers of rdpends
> > should be alerted to the impending transition so they can check if they
> > are ready.
> >
> > Debian is developed by a team and we should work together to move things
> > forward.  Particularly for a big transition like numpy, we all need to
> > work together to get the work done.
> >
> > It's true that breakage will happen in unstable.  We shouldn't be afraid
> > of it, but we should also work to keep it manageable.
> let's not get hung up on the details of numpy; what if the package to
> update is a small library, with say 20 rdeps, but one of them is llvm
> or gcc or libreoffice, and maybe only for their doc. Are we really
> asking the maintainer of that library to rebuild all the rdeps, which
> can require considerable time, memory and disk space nor readily
> available (we can assume the rdeps maintainers have figured out their
> resource availability and so they'd be able to rebuild their packages
> easily)?
>
> and lets use once again numpy: 2 days ago i've uploaded 1.21.5 to
> replace 1.21.4 in unstable. should i have instead uploaded to
> experimental and asked the RT for a transition slot? how do i know if
> a transition is required, in this and in all other cases, for all
> packages? while only a patch release, there's a non-zero chance there
> should be a regresion or an incompatible chance was released with it.
> which can only be discovered by rdeps rebuild and so we go back to my
> previous mail.

For things like major python packages (other languages too), it's not a simple
as for C (and to a lesser extent C++) libraries where it's either binary
compatible, no so name change, and not a transition, or it isn't.

I sympathize, really.  I think that for things that are supposed to be
backward compatible, uploading to unstable is generally fine.  More extensive
work is appropriate for larger, more "major" upgrades.

Scott K