releasing major library change to unstable without coordination

Hi fellow developers,

Is it normal and ok to upload a new major release of a library to
unstable, without either a) testing that reverse dependencies do not
break, or b) coordinating with maintainers of reverse dpendencies
_before_ such upload?

Sure, accidents happen - but do the label "unstable" only mean that
accidents can happen or also that coordination/warning is optional?

Reason for my question is bug#1001591 where (apart from my failures in
getting my points across as clearly as I would have desired) me and the
involved package maintainer seem to have very different views on the
matter, and I would like to understand more generally if I am living is
some fantasy World different from common practices in Debian.

Regards,

 - Jonas