Re: Deps of -dev packages with pkg-config .pc file: Policy Change?

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:

> If you're linking statically, you need to be able to satisfy the
> recursive dependencies of libunbound (regardless of whether you are
> using pkg-config or not), so, no, you will need nettle-dev and
> libevent-dev either way.

And, specifically, I think we should say as a matter of policy that Debian
does not try to declare the dependencies required for static linking and
therefore static linking may require tracking down what additional -dev
packages you need and manually installing them.  The dependencies for -dev
packages should reflect the requirements for dynamic linking.

Static linking of C libraries is rare enough at this point, and (possibly
more relevantly) sufficiently untested by Debian that I don't think we
should try to support it directly in the dependency structure.  It would
pull in a whole bunch of -dev packages that wouldn't be used 95% of the
time.

This is what I already do for libremctl-dev, for example.  (Well, I list
the libraries required for static linking in Suggests currently, but I'm
not sure that list is complete any more and should probably just drop it
completely.)