Re: Deps of -dev packages with pkg-config .pc file: Policy Change?

> If foo.pc in libfoo-dev references bar.pc [...]

That is the problem: If 'bar.pc' is referenced just because for static
libraries, why does it create a dependency for me as a user, who is
a) not using pkg-config at all
and/or
b) linking dynamically?

Let us assume 'bar.pc' creates a dependency in Debian, then the question
arises: Why is the package 'pkg-config' itself not a dependency, too?

Let us assume 'bar.pc' would create a dependency in Debian, then the
question arises: Why does the Debian maintainer not transform it to
'Libs.private', not upstream but via a Debian patch? That would avoid
such .pc-file*only* dependencies.

Just to repeat: libunbound-dev works great without nettle-dev and
libevent-dev. It is just the .pc file itself which introduced those
dependencies. A little tweak to the .pc file, and it works for both
dynamic and static linking, and does not add any such dependencies. My
conclusion: The .pc file does not suite Debian (and its -dev package
concept).

> Requires.private [is] quite clear cut.

I had a hard time to understand [1]. For platforms which have no
separate '-dev' packages, yes, easy. For platforms which do have
separate '-dev' packages, I see the problem one abstraction level
higher: Those libs, which are in 'Requires.private' just for static
linking, why not moving them to 'Libs.private'?

Let us assume it is a clear cut: What exactly should I do now in case of
- libunbound-dev: Report as that two dependencies are still missing or
  creating a Debian patch to adjust the .pc for Debian?
- libsrtp2-dev: The package which all started this for me. It has
  pkg-config as dep. Should I report that over depends on pkg-config?
- gnome-calculator: The default calculator in every Ubuntu Desktop
  installation. It misses three -dev deps because of the two .pc files
  in the package. Should I report those deps as missing? Or should I
  report that the Gnome Calculator needs two -dev packages (and those
  then dep on those -dev)?
When is it a wish, when is it a bug report?