Re: ayatana-indicator-messages: bump epoch in package version from <none> to 1

Hi Jeremy, hi Michael,

On  So 12 Dez 2021 20:24:11 CET, Michael Biebl wrote:

On 12.12.21 19:22, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
Therefore, it seems pretty easy to me for you to just bump the
upstream version in its next release from 0.9.0 to 13.11.0 (or 14.0 or
14.9.0 or whatever higher number). Blame Ubuntu in your release notes.

That seems like the least complex way to handle this. No epochs. No
version skew between upstream and Debian. No version skew between the
Debian source package and the binary packages. No version skew between
Debian and Ubuntu. No tricky version number mangling in debian/rules.

Version numbers are cheap. It's really not a big deal to bump your
version from 0.9 to 14. After that, you don't have any obligation to
do year.month versioning.

Yeah, I think this is the way to go. Especially since this also affects other distros which will also have the same issue.

If ayatana-indicator-messages is the natural successor of indicator-messages it should just make sure to have a higher (upstream) version number.

And there is prior art here. E.g. systemd bumped it's version bumper from v44 to v183 after it had merged the udev sources (which at that point were at version v182).

We will to a year.month.revision versioning scheme for all Ayatana System Indicators coming with the next release series.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31